Purpose of post
To help provide a high standard of physical, emotional, social and intellectual care for children placed in the nursery.
To give support to other personnel within the nursery.
To help implement the daily routine in the base room.
Work with the children
Liaise with senior staff
Senior nursery nurse
Proprietor and directors of the company
Duties and responsibilities
- To assist with the planning of the curriculum; set up suitable activities to the age range of the children in the designated and to help tidy away at the end of the session.
- To act as a key worker to a small group of children, liaising closely with parents/carers and ensuring each child’s needs are recognized and met
- To advise management of any concerns e.g over children, parents or the safety of equipment, preserving confidentiality as necessary
- To assist in ensuring the safety of all children in the setting in the event of a fire/drill or other emergency
- To be part of the team providing a safe, stimulating environment for the children, with creative and appropriate play opportunities; to ensure the provision of a high quality environment to meet the needs of individual children from differing cultures and religious backgrounds, and stages of development.
- To work within and follow nursery policies and procedures
- To conduct yourself in a professional manner at all times
- To be involved with out of working hour’s activities e.g. training, staff meetings, parent’s evenings and partnership with parents etc
- To be flexible within the working practices of the nursery. Be prepared to help where needed, including undertaking certain domestic jobs within the nursery e.g. Preparation of snack meals, cleansing of equipment etc.
- To work alongside the directors, proprietor, manager, deputy manager and staff team to ensure that the ethos and philosophy behind the project is fulfilled; to undertake any other reasonable duties as directed by the manager
- To record accidents in the accident book and ensure the manager /deputy has countersigned before the parent receives it.
- To look upon the nursery as a whole, think where can help be most utilized, be constantly aware of the needs of the children and use initiative.
- To ensure someone known comes to nursery to collect the child and going home forms are filled in as required
- To keep confidential any information confidential any information regarding the children, their families or other staff which is acquired as part of the job
- If qualified, to administer or supervise any first aid as required and appropriate
- Specific child care tasks:
To ensure a that all toys are safe to use by completing risk assessments daily inside and outside and ensure all broken toys are reported to senior staff or management. To keep the care and welfare of the children paramount importance and know it is your duty to safeguard them. To be aware of the high profile of the nursery and uphold its standards at all times; whilst wearing the company uniform you represent the company at all times and must uphold its standards and reputation any derogatory behavior whilst wearing the uniform can result in a disciplinary.
- The preparation and completion of activities to suit the child’s stage of development
- To ensure that mealtimes are a time of pleasant social sharing experience
- To wash and change children as required and follow intimate care policy
- Providing comfort and warmth to a poorly child.